When and Where: February 16, 2019 – Manchester, N.H. (Sullivan Arena)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 3, Saint Anselm College 1
Records: SNHU (12-9-4, 7-5-3 NE10), Saint Anselm College (15-12-2, 10-4-1 NE10)
Junior DJ Goldstein broke a 1-1 tie with a third period goal and SNHU won 3-1 at Saint Anselm College in the regular season finale Saturday afternoon at Sullivan Arena. The Hawks won the NE10 regular season title with a 4-0 Queen City Cup win on Friday night. The Penmen needed a win to secure a home ice advantage in next weekend's NE10 semifinals. SNHU will host Saint Michael's on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.
- Goldstein's goal, his fifth of the season, was his third against the Hawks, all at Sullivan Arena. He had scored twice November 9 in a game SNHU lost 5-4
- Freshmen Jake Cox (Columbus, Ga.) tallied a power-play goal in the first period to tie the game at 1-1
- Junior goalie Kurt Gutting (Weymouth, Mass.) stopped 30 of 31 shots to earn the win.
- Freshman Joe Fiorino (Willow Grove, Pa.) and senior Chris Moquin (Hooksett, N.H.) each had two assists
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Anselm went ahead, 1-0, with 11:49 left in the opening period on a goal by senior Bryan Green.
- Southern New Hampshire pulled even on a power-play goal by Jake Cox at 8:14 of the second period. Freshman Joe Fiorino (Willow Grove, Pa.) and senior Chris Moquin (Hooksett, N.H.) assisted on the goal.
- Cox has scored eight goals, including three power-play goals this season.
- The game-winner was provided by junior DJ Goldstein at 7:04 of the third period. Moquin and senior Brett Strawn (Wareham, Mass.) assisted on the goal.
- An empty netter by freshman Andy Somerville (Medford, Mass.) sealed the win for the Penmen at 18:55. Fiorino also assisted on this goal.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Hawks outshot the Penmen 31-25.
- SNHU went 1-for-2 on the power-play, Saint Anselm was 0-1.
- The Penmen snapped a six-game losing streak to Saint Anselm, dating back to November 29, 2016. SNHU had not won at Saint Anselm since the semifinals of the NE10 tournament in the 2013-14 Championship season.
- SNHU improved to 6-7-1 on the road this season. The team was 6-2-3 at its home rink, The Ice Den.
- Southern New Hampshire will host Saint Michael's College in the NE10 semifinals on Saturday, February 23 at 1:00 p.m. at The Ice Den In Hooksett.
- The winner will meet the winner of Saturday's other semifinal between Saint Anselm College and Assumption College for the NE10 Championship.
- The Penmen had a win and two ties in three games this season with the Purple Knights. The teams opened the season against one other on October 30, a 2-2 tie.
- SNHU, Saint Michael's and Assumption finished tied for second with 17 points. The Penmen had a better combined record against the other two teams involved in the tie to become the tournament second seed.
- Saint Anselm College is the defending champ, and SNHU earned its only NE10 Championship five years ago.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.