When and Where: February 23, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (The Ice Den)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 3, Saint Michael's College 2
Records: SNHU 13-9-4, Saint Michael's College 7-16-4
Senior Artem Efimov-Barakov (Khimki, Russia) scored with 13:55 left in the third period to lift Southern New Hampshire to a 3-2 win over Saint Michael's College, sending the Penmen to the Northeast-10 Championship Game next Saturday.
- Efimov-Barakov's game-winning goal was his sixth of the season and 21st of his career.
- Freshman Andy Somerville tied the game at 1-1 with his eighth goal in the second period.
- "Georgia Line" teammates Cole Stewart and Jake Cox combined to put SNHU in the lead for the first time in the second period.
- SNHU junior goalie Kurt Gutting (Weymouth, Mass.), who was named NE10 Goalkeeper of the Year, 25 of 27 shots to earn the win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Michael's took advantage of the first power-play opportunity of the game, scoring at 7:45 of the first period. With SNHU senior Brett Strawn (Wareham, Mass.) in the penalty box for hooking, Andrew Olevitz was able to knock home a rebound from in tight for the goal.
- Naill Foster picked up an assist after he shot was blocked. Cameron Stewart also assisted on the goal.
- The Purple Knights had another power-play opportunity later in the period, but failed to score.
- Despite limited opportunities, the Penmen had a slim 9-7 shot advantage in the first period.
- SNHU tied the game, then took the lead, in the second period.
- Freshman Andy Somerville (Medford, Mass.) tied the game at 10:47 of the period. He won a face-off in the Saint Michael's zone, sending the puck back to the blue line for a shot by freshman Joe Fiorino (Willow Grove, Pa.). Somerville redirected the blast for the goal.
- Southern New Hampshire took a 2-1 lead exactly two minutes later on a goal by freshman Cole Stewart (Alpharetta, Ga.) assisted by freshman Jake Cox (Columbus, Ga.)
- With time running down in the middle period, the Purple Knights were able to tie the contest. After winning a face off in the SNHU zone, Hadan Jordan's blast was tipped in by Nic Hermary. Patrick Doherty also had an assist on the goal, which came at 19:26 of the second period.
- The game-winning goal came at 13:55 of the final period. Efimov-Barakov was set-up by junior Kaleb Godbout (Williston, Vt.) and senior Joseph Berardi (Burlington, Mass.). His slap shot found in the upper right corner of the net.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- SNHU was outshot 27-23 in the contest by Saint Michael's.
- The Penmen went 0-for-1 on the power play, while the Purple Knights went 1-for-2.
- Southern New Hampshire and Saint Michael's College were meeting in the playoffs for the first time since the 2014 Championship.
- Southern New Hampshire will play top-seed Saint Anselm College in the Northeast-10 Conference Championship Game next Saturday, March 2 at 1:00 p.m. at Sullivan Arena. The Hawks took two-of-three games from the Penmen during the regular season. Saint Anselm advanced with a 2-1 win over Assumption with the winning goal coming 2:25 into the third overtime period.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.