When and Where: November 2, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (The Ice Den)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 3, Bryn Athyn 2
Records: SNHU 1-1-0, Bryn Athyn 1-1-0
Sophomore Cole Stewart (Alpharetta, Ga.) scored twice, including the game-winner midway through the third period, as SNHU edged Bryn Athyn 3-2 Saturday Afternoon to earn a split of the season-opening series with the Lions at The Ice Den.
- Sophomore Jake Cox (Columbus, Ga.) gave the Penmen a 1-0 lead with a power-play goal at 7:10 of the first period. Freshman Matt Monreal (Wauwatosa, Wis.) and sophomore Joe Fiorino (Willow Grove, Pa.) assisted.
- Stewart scored a short-handed goal at 4:50 of the second period to put the Penmen up 2-1 with assists Grad Student Brett Strawn (Wareham, Mass.) and sophomore Dominic DiMambro (Troy, Mich.).
- Stewart again broke a tie with the game-winner on the power play off a pass from senior DJ Goldstein (Wareham, Mass.) at 10:15 of the second period.
- Bryn Athyn's fifth and final penalty of the game, a hold on Devon Becker, proved to be the difference as Stewart scored.
- The visiting Lions twice battled from behind, tying the game at 2-2 on a power-play goal by Nikita Smirnov.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Penmen scored five goals in the two games with the Lions - three came on the power-play and two were shorthanded goals.
- Sophomore JT Kossakowski (Elburn, Ill.) started in net, earning his second career win. He made 33 saves.
- Bryn Athyn outshot SNHU 35-34 for the game, and outshot the Penmen in five of the six periods played in the season-opening series.
- The Penmen and Lions also split a pair of games played last season at Bryn Athyn.
- The Penmen will play the next six games on the road, starting with the first NE10 game on Friday, November 8 at Franklin Pierce University. Game time is 7:00 p.m.
- The next home game at The Ice Den will come on Saturday, November 30 in the opening game of the Manchester PAL Cup against Morrisville at 1:50 p.m.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. You can also sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams.