When and Where: November 15, 2019 – Shelton, Conn. (Sports Center of Connecticut)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 5, Post University 3
Records: SNHU 4-1-0 (2-0-0 NE10), Post 1-2-1 (0-2-0 NE10)
The SNHU Men's Ice Hockey team scored three times in the first period en route to a fourth straight win, 5-3, at Post University on Friday night.
- Freshman George Thurston (Plymouth, Mass.) opened the scoring with his fifth goal of the season at 2:53 of the first period. Sophomore Travis Quigley (North Babylon, N.Y.) and sophomore Joe Fiorino (Willow Grove, Pa.) assisted on the power play goal.
- Team captain Brett Strawn (Wareham, Mass.) notched his first goal of the season at 9:00 of the first period for a 2-0 lead with newcomers Ryan Coady (Braintree, Mass.) & Tim Usalis (Danvers, Mass.) picking up assists.
- After Tyler Hackett scored for the Eagles, junior Kyle Galloway (Sugar Hill, Ga.) potted the rebound of his own miss after it carried off the back glass to make it 3-1 at 16:18.
- Each team scored twice in the second period. The Penmen hit for a pair in the first 3:03 of the second to open a 5-1 lead. Fiorino snapped home a rebound of his own shot right in front of the net at 1:30 and Quigley scored at 3:03.
- Strawn and sophomore Jake Cox (Columbus, Ga.) assisted on Fiorino's goal. Sophomore Max Kent (Sandwich, Mass.) and sophomore Andy Somerville (Medford, Mass.) picked up the assists on Quigley's goal.
- Post had goals from John Krapian and Michael Karas, but could not get any closer than 5-3. Senior Kurt Gutting (Weymouth, Mass.) made 19 saves.
- The Penmen outshot the Eagles 36-22 for the contest. SNHU went 1-for-6 on the power-play while Post was 0-for-3.
- This was the first meeting between the schools as NE10 rivals. SNHU leads the All-time series 7-2, but Post did win two of three games between the teams last season.
- SNHU and Post University will meet again on Saturday at 4:15 p.m. and again on February 4 in New Hampshire.
- The next home game at The Ice Den will come on Saturday, November 30 in the opening game of the Manchester PAL Cup against Morrisville at 1:50 p.m.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. You can also sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams.