When and Where: March 2, 2019 – Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. (Mercy Field)
Score: No. 5 Mercy College 18, Southern New Hampshire University 8
Records: SNHU 1-2, Mercy 5-0
Redshirt freshman Landon Goguen (Mattapoisett, Mass.) registered three points on a pair of goals and an assist Saturday, but a six-goal second quarter propelled fifth-ranked Mercy College past the Southern New Hampshire University men's lacrosse team on Saturday, 18-8.
- Freshman Tristan Pietz (Dudley, Mass.) tallied three points in the setback with a trio of helpers.
- Sophomore Cole Jacobsen (Dartmouth, Mass.) collected three points of his own with a goal and two assists.
- Freshman Chris Valentine (Derry, N.H.) and sophomore Stephen Dubois (Goffstown, N.H.) each found the back of the net twice for the Penmen.
- Jack Gibbons led all scorers Saturday with six points behind two goals and four assists for Mercy.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Mavericks jumped on the board less than a minute into the first when Jack Gibbons staged the hosts to a 1-0 advantage just 40 seconds into the contest.
- Dubois reset the contest with his sixth of the year and first of the afternoon with 11:33 remaining in the first before Mercy went on a four-goal run to close the quarter with a 5-1 edge.
- Southern New Hampshire stormed back into the contest in the first four-plus minutes of the second stanza to trim the deficit to a single goal. Jacobsen cashed in a feed from Goguen at 1:27 before Pietz set up freshman Pat Quinn (Billerica, Mass.) for his first career goal with 12:06 left in the first half. Valentine capped off the three-goal burst with a man-up marker from Jacobsen, and the Penmen trailed 5-4 at 4:30.
- Mercy answered SNHU's run with a four-goal barrage in less than two minutes to build a five-goal cushion at 9-4 with 7:01 to play in the half, and after Goguen stopped the bleeding at 9:38, JoJo Janavey potted back-to-back goals for the Mavericks.
- Trailing by six late in the first half, Pietz found Dubois with 14 seconds remaining to send the teams to the intermission with the hosts in front, 11-6.
- Southern New Hampshire's offense was limited to a pair of goals in the final 30 minutes, with Goguen finding the back of the cage on an extra-man opportunity 3:30 into the third before Valentine capped the game's scoring with 4:37 remaining.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Ryan Gibbons stopped 12 of the 19 shots he faced for the Mavericks in the opening 52:04 before giving way to Thomas Umano and Matthew Prasenski, who combined to make three saves on five shots.
- Freshman Alex Strugess (Derry, N.H.) recorded eight saves over the first three quarters before redshirt sophomore Neal Murray (Marblehead, Mass.) steered aside of the three shots he faced in the fourth.
- Redshirt junior Jack Healey (Hampton, N.H.) went 8-for-15 at the faceoff X for Southern New Hampshire Saturday, however, the Penmen were 10-for-28 on the day.
- SNHU converted on 4-of-7 man-up chances, including both of its second-half chances.
- Southern New Hampshire resumes its schedule on Saturday (March 9) when it opens Northeast-10 Conference play at the College of Saint Rose at 5 p.m.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.