When and Where: March 27, 2019 – Goffstown, N.H. (Grappone Stadium)
Score: No. 20 Saint Anselm College 15, Southern New Hampshire University 6
Records: SNHU 2-5 (1-3 Northeast-10 Conference), Saint Anselm 3-2 (2-1 Northeast-10 Conference)
Sophomore Cole Jacobsen (Dartmouth, Mass.) scored a pair of goals and assisted on two others Wednesday, but Saint Anselm College used a 10-goal run that spanned nearly all of the second and third quarters to earn a 15-6 win over the Southern New Hampshire University men's lacrosse team.
- Jacobsen led the Penmen with four points to extend his multi-point streak to six-straight games.
- Freshman Chris Valentine (Derry, N.H.) scored twice in the setback while sophomore Stephen Dubois (Goffstown, N.H.) had a pair of points on a goal and a helper.
- Sean Tomaszewski led all scorers Wednesday with two goals and three assists for the Hawks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Anselm jumped out to a quick two-goal lead after Xavier Quinn and Ryan Richards each found the back of the cage in the game's first 3:02.
- The Penmen broke through midway through the first when Jacobsen set up Dubois for his 12th of the year with 7:15 remaining and after another Hawks' goal, Valentine trimmed the deficit back to a single goal at 9:55 of the first.
- Saint Anselm stormed out in the second quarter to the tune of seven goals while holding Southern New Hampshire scoreless in the process. The Hawks took a 10-2 lead into halftime before tacking on three more goals in the opening 9:38 of the third quarter to build a 13-2 advantage.
- Jacobsen stopped the run with 1:03 left in the third when he converted a feed from freshman Tristan Pietz (Dudley, Mass.) before finding Valentine less than two minutes into the fourth to make it 13-4.
- Jacobsen's second of the night was sandwiched between another pair of Saint Anselm scores, and senior Tom Schutz (Trumbull, Conn.) capped the game's scoring with his 11th at 12:16.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Freshman Alex Sturgess (Derry, N.H.) registered a career-high 19 saves in the setback, as the Hawks outshot the Penmen, 53-43, and held a 34-23 edge in shots on goal.
- Senior Andrew Liu (Piedmont, Calif.) went 14-for-25 at the faceoff X and grabbed a game-high five groundballs.
- Southern New Hampshire raked in 34 groundballs and was successful in 17-of-20 clear attempts, while Saint Anselm picked up 30 loose balls and converted 22-of-26 clear opportunities.
- Jacobsen has scored at least three points in all but one game this season. Since the season opener, he has amassed 23 points in six games (3.83ppg) and leads SNHU with 24 points on a dozen goals and 12 assists.
- Valentine extended his own personal point streak to seven games and now has at least one goal in every career contest.
- Dubois' goal gives him 12 on the season, which is tied with Jacobsen for the team lead. He also has at least one point in each of Southern New Hampshire's seven games with five multi-point efforts.
- Sturgess' 19 saves eclipsed his previous season and career-high of 18 set on March 9 in a 14-9 win over the College of Saint Rose. He has stopped at least a dozen shots on four occasions and has totaled 89 saves in seven games.
- Southern New Hampshire returns to Penmen Stadium Saturday (March 30) when it hosts No. 17 Assumption College at noon.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.