When and Where: April 10, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (Penmen Stadium)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 10, Saint Michael's College 5
Records: SNHU 3-8 (2-6 Northeast-10 Conference), Saint Michael's 3-8 (0-7 Northeast-10 Conference)
Freshman Tristan Pietz (Dudley, Mass.) matched his career high with five points and redshirt-sophomore Neal Murray (Marblehead, Mass.) made 11 saves to lead the Southern New Hampshire University men's lacrosse team to a 10-5 victory against Saint Michael's College on Wednesday at Penmen Stadium.
- Pietz scored three goals and dished a pair of assists.
- Murray's 11 saves came on just 16 shots.
- Senior Tom Schutz (Trumbull, Conn.) recorded four points on two goals and two assists.
- Sophomore Stephen Dubois (Goffstown, N.H.) found the back of the net twice and set up a goal.
- Freshman Owen McCuin (Hinesburg, Vt.) established a new career high with two goals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Schutz opened the scoring 3:28 into the game, with classmate Andrew Liu (Piedmont, Calif.) batting in a loose ball off the ensuing faceoff to put the second goal on the board just eight seconds later. Saint Michael's found the back of the net for the first time with 10:11 left in the opening quarter to slice its deficit in half at 2-1.
- The game went to the second stanza with the same score, before Schutz set up Pietz to widen the Penmen advantage to 3-1 more than three minutes in. The Purple Knights scored again 1:10 later and SNHU would head to the locker room with a 3-2 edge.
- After McCuin opened the second-half scoring less than two minutes in, Saint Michael's scored twice in a 60-second span to knot the game, 4-4, with 9:02 left to play in the third. Dubois set up Pietz and then scored one of his own just 37 seconds later, but the Purple Knights added one more to make it a one-goal game at 6-5, heading to the final frame.
- The score stayed the way until the 9:26 mark of the fourth, when Pietz fed Dubois for a goal and then struck himself to make it 8-5 with just 6:10 to go. The Penmen would salt the game away, with Schutz scoring at 3:41 and then initializing a McCuin score to finish it off.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Liu finished 15-for-18 at the faceoff X and raked in 11 ground balls.
- SNHU outshot Saint Michael's, 36-21, including 11-2 in the opening quarter
- The Penmen finished 1-for-6 on the man up and held the Purple Knights to 0-for-4.
- Southern New Hampshire snaps a six-game skid with the victory, with five of those losses coming against team's ranked in the top 20 in the nation.
- Pietz' previous five-point performance came in a 13-9 win against Molloy College on Feb. 23 when he scored four times and handed out a helper in just the second game of his career.
- Liu's 11 ground balls are the third most in his Penmen career and the most since he collected 14 against Felician University on March 4, 2017. The goal was also his first of the season and just his fourth in a SNHU uniform.
- Southern New Hampshire is back in action Friday (April 12) when it plays host to Franklin Pierce University at Penmen Stadium for a 7 o'clock faceoff.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.