When and Where: September 5, 2019 – Garden City, N.Y. (Mitchel Field)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 2, Queens (N.Y.) College 0
Records: SNHU 1-0, Queens 0-1
Senior Michael Goncalves (Ludlow, Mass.) scored the eventual game winner in the 55th minute and then made sure it stood up by assisting on a late insurance tally, as the Southern New Hampshire University men's soccer team opened its season with a 2-0 blanking of Queens (N.Y.) College on Thursday evening at Mitchel Field.
- Graduate student Alex Satrustegui (Pamplona, Spain) picked up where he left off last season with a goal in the 82nd minute.
- Freshman Sinisa Sprecakovic (Mannheim, Germany) collected his first point in a Penmen uniform by setting up the Goncalves goal.
- Senior Brian Murray (Camas, Wash.) posted his first shutout with SNHU, turning away all four shots he faced.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Queens goalkeeper Marek Strzelcyk stopped three of the five shots that came his way.
- The Knights held a 12-7 advantage in shots, including 8-4 after halftime.
- Southern New Hampshire captures its sixth straight season opener.
- SNHU improves to 95-15-11 (.831) over its last 121 matches dating back to the beginning of the 2013 National Championship season.
- Satrustegui has now scored in 25 of the 32 matches he has played in with the Penmen, who are 21-3-1 (.860) when he finds the back of the net.
- Goncalves entered the night with two goals and two assists over his 25-match SNHU career.
- The Penmen return to action Wednesday, Sept. 11 (7 p.m.) when they play host to Post University in their home opener at Penmen Stadium.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. You can also sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams.