When and Where: March 11, 2019 – St. Augustine, Fla. (Flagler Tennis Center)
Score: Flagler College 7, Southern New Hampshire University 0
Records: Flagler 7-3, SNHU 3-2
Juniors Bas van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands) and Willem van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands) won their No. 1 doubles match, but the Southern New Hampshire University men's tennis team was blanked by 15th-ranked Flagler College, 7-0, Monday.
- The van Biezens, ranked 25th in the country amongst Division II doubles duos, topped Lukas Storck and Konstantin Dustmann, 6-3, at No. 1 doubles.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After Flagler opened the match by winning at No. 2 doubles, the van Biezens came away victorious to leave the doubles point hanging in the balance with No. 3 doubles still playing. Flagler wound up earning the point, as Luca Bolla and Daniel Arrien defeated freshman Emmanuel Vacalares (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines) and graduate student Tiago Fernandes (Porto, Portugal), 7-6 (7-5).
- Flagler then swept all six singles matches. Willem van Biezen gave Rasmus Jonsson a run for his money at No. 2, before falling, 6-4, 7-5.
- Vaccalares also lost to Bolla at No. 3 by the same 6-4, 7-5 score.
- Freshman Fernando Torres (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) made it close at No. 5 against Reid Burrows, losing 6-4, 6-4.
- Southern New Hampshire had won 15 of 16 against Division II opponents entering the match.
- Flagler is ranked third in the ITA Southeast Region, while the Penmen are No. 4 in the Northeast.
- The Penmen are back in action Tuesday, March 12 (3 p.m.) when they take on 12th-ranked Palm Beach Atlantic University.
- The next home match for SNHU is slated for Friday, March 22 (3 p.m.) against the New York Institute of Technology.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtubeand Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.