When and Where: April 6, 2019 – Rindge, N.H. (FPU Tennis Courts)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 7, Franklin Pierce University 0
Records: SNHU 9-3 (5-0 NE10), FPU 8-6 (3-2 NE10)
Graduate student Tiago Fernandes (Porto, Portugal) won both of his matches and clinched the victory with his No. 1 singles win, as the Southern New Hampshire University men's tennis team posted a 7-0 victory over in-state rival Franklin Pierce University on Saturday afternoon at the FPU Tennis Courts.
- Fernandes recorded a 6-1, 6-4 victory at No. 1 singles against Roberto Chong and also teamed with freshman Emmanuel Vacalares (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines) for a 7-6 (11-9) triumph against James Bisazza and Andrew Schadt at No. 3 doubles. Vacalares also won his singles tilt.
- Juniors Bas van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands) and Willem van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands), the 36th-ranked doubles duo in the nation, won a 6-2 decision at No.1 doubles against Chong and Nkrumah Patrick, in addition to each winning their singles match..
- Grad student Miguel Marreiros (Portimao, Portugal) and freshman Fernando Torres (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) also each captured both of their matches, as well as a 7-6 (11-9) No. 2 doubles win over Preston Gordon and Yuval Barak.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After the van Biezens posted their win to start doubles play, Fernandes and Vacalares clinched the doubles point, before Marrieros and Torres made it a clean sweep.
- Willem van Biezen opened singles play by defeating Gordon, 6-0, 6-4.
- Bas van Biezen followed with a 6-3, 6-1 victory against Barak and the Penmen had pushed the Ravens to the brink.
- Fernandes finished them off with his win over Chong, before Vacalares edged Patrick, 6-4, 6-4, at No. 3 to make it 5-0.
- Torres toppled Marcus Lawrence, 6-1, 6-3 at No. 6, with Marreiros capping the match by beating Schadt, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 6.
- Southern New Hampshire, which has won six straight, is ranked fourth in the ITA East Region, while the Ravens, who are seventh in the region, drop their third-in-a-row.
- SNHU extends its NE10 winning streak, including the postseason, to 40 dating back to Oct. 15, 2015.
- Fernandes improves to 41-0 all-time against NE10 foes in singles action, including the postseason and ITA East Regional Championship tournaments.
- Bas van Biezen is also perfect in singles matches against NE10 rivals during his career at 16-0.
- The Penmen are back in action Sunday, April 7 (11 a.m.) when they take a break from conference play to host to Endicott College at the Penmen Stadium Tennis Courts.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtubeand Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.