When and Where: April 7, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (Penmen Stadium Tennis Courts)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 7, Endicott College 0
Records: SNHU 10-3, Endicott 6-8
Graduate student Tiago Fernandes (Porto, Portugal), junior Bas van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands) and freshman Fernando Torres (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) each captured a pair of wins to lead the Southern New Hampshire University men's tennis team to a 7-0 triumph over Endicott College on Sunday afternoon at the Penmen Stadium Tennis Courts.
- Fernandes blanked Charles Book, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 1 singles and combined with graduate student Ricardo Marreiros (Portimao, Portugal) to take down Collin Dinardo and Christos Papadopoulos at No. 3 doubles, 6-2.
- van Biezen nearly shut out Keaton McCleary at No. 3 singles, defeating him, 6-1, 6-0. He also teamed with classmate Willem van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands) to beat Justin Toler and Cooper Walters, 6-0, at No. 1 doubles.
- Torres was also a 6-1, 6-0 winner at No. 4 against Toler, and edged Daniel Rinkert and McCleary, 6-4, at No. 2 doubles, along with grad student Miguel Marreiros (Portimao, Portugal).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After the van Biezens posted their win to start doubles play, Fernandes and Marreiros clinched the doubles point, before Miguel Marrieros and Torres made it a clean sweep.
- Fernandes opened singles play with his win, before Bas van Biezen made it 3-0.
- Freshman Emmanuel Vacalares (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines) clinched the match with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Rinkert at No. 2.
- Torres extended the lead to 5-0, with sophomore Noah Sullivan (Meredith, N.H.) winning, 6-2, 6-0 over Dinardo at No. 6.
- Senior Faizan Khalid (Manchester, N.H.) capped the match with a 6-2, 5-7, 11-9 triumph over Papadopoulos at No. 6.
- Southern New Hampshire, which has won seven straight, is ranked fourth in the ITA East Region,
- The Penmen are back in action Tuesday, April 9 (3 p.m.) when they resume conference play by hosting Bentley University at the Penmen Stadium Tennis Courts.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtubeand Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.