When and Where: November 9, 2019 – Lakewood, N.J. (Wellness Center)
Score: Georgian Court University 77, Southern New Hampshire University 71
Records: GCU 1-0, SNHU 0-1
Senior Molly Terry (Shrewsbury, Mass.) scored 13 points to lead five scorers in double figures, but the Southern New Hampshire University women's basketball team opened its season with a 77-71 defeat against Georgian Court University on Saturday afternoon at the Wellness Center.
- Terry – 13 points (4-11 FG, 4-11 3-FG, 1-2 FT), 3 assists, 3 steals
- Junior Sarah Deyo (Attleboro, Mass.) – 12 points (5-14 FG, 2-3 FT), 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals
- Senior Victoria Dean (Plymouth, Mass.) – 12 points (4-10 FG, 1-5 3-FG, 3-4 FT), 4 rebounds, 2 assists
- Junior Gyanna Russell (E. Hampton, Conn.) – 12 points (4-8 FG, 4-6 3-FG), 4 rebounds
- Freshman Ariana Koivisto (Pomfret, Conn.) – 11 points (3-6 FG, 1-2 3-FG, 4-4 FT), 3 rebounds
- Sophomore Jenna Roche (Braintree, Mass.) – 6 points (3-8 FG), 3 rebounds, 2 assists
- Trailing, 25-17, just over a minute into the second quarter, Georgian Court put together a 12-1 surge – with eight points from Jada Atchison – to open up a 29-26 advantage with 3:52 left before the break.
- SNHU led, 62-58, with just over six-and-a-half minutes to play in regulation when the Lions ripped off a 15-4 run to seize their largest lead of the game at 73-66 with 34 seconds on the clock.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Atchison led all scorers with 34 points (8-24 FG, 3-14 3-FG, 15-17 FT) and 10 rebounds for the Lions, who also received a double-double from Ivona Krakic with 12 points (6-8 FG) and 15 boards.
- The Lions outshot the Penmen, 41.9 percent (26-62) to 33.3 percent (25-75), while SNHU returned the favor from deep, 25 percent (7-28) to 21.7 percent (5-23).
- Georgian Court was better from the line, 87 percent (20-23) to 73.7 percent (14-19).
- The Lions won the glass (49-38) and had more second chance points (12-4), while the Penmen featured a better assist-to-turnover ratio (14/15-18/24), gathered more points off turnovers (22-11) and received more scoring from their bench (29-11).
- SNHU is 0-1 for the first time in two years.
- The Penmen are back in action Sunday (Nov. 10) at noon when they close out their trip to Georgian Court with a matchup against Concordia (N.Y.) College.
- SNHU opens its home slate Sunday, Nov. 17 (1 p.m.) when it plays host to the College of Staten Island at the Stan Spirou Field House. The game will air live on WGIR 610-AM.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. You can also sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams.