When and Where: November 13, 2019 – Springfield, Mass. (Butova Gymnasium)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 83, American International College 70
Records: SNHU 2-1, AIC 1-2
Junior Gyanna Russell (E. Hampton, Conn.) exploded for a career-high 20 points to lead the Southern New Hampshire University women's basketball team to an 83-70 victory against American International College in a non-conference matchup Wednesday evening at Butova Gymnasium.
- Russell – career-high 20 points (7-11 FG, 1-1 3-FG, 5-5 FT), 5 rebounds, 2 steals
- Freshman Adriana Timberlake (Braintree, Mass.) – 15 points (5-6 FG, 4-4 3-FG, 1-2 FT), 3 assists, 3 steals
- Senior Molly Terry (Shrewsbury, Mass.) – 12 points (4-8 FG, 3-6 3-FG, 1-2 FT), 2 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals
- Junior Sarah Deyo (Attleboro, Mass.) – 12 points (4-7 FG, 4-4 FT), 2 rebounds, 2 blocks
- Senior Karlee Ziliak (Evansville, Ind.) – 7 points (3-6 FG, 1-3 3-FG), 5 assists
- Senior Victoria Dean (Plymouth, Mass.) – 6 points (3-5 FG), 3 rebounds
- Freshman Ariana Koivisto (Pomfret, Conn.) – 6 points (2-3 FG, 2-4 FT), 3 rebounds, 3 steals
- SNHU led, 65-63, with just over eight minutes to go in the fourth quarter when a three-point play from Russell sparked a 15-4 run that opened an 80-67 advantage for the Penmen with 2:41 remaining.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Rashana Siders and Kayla Robinson paced the Yellow Jackets with 15 and 14 points, respectively.
- The game featured 22 ties and 28 lead changes.
- The Penmen outshot the Yellow Jackets, 54.7 percent (29-53) to 46.4 percent (26-56), including 52.9 percent (9-17) to 46.2 percent (6-13) from beyond the arc.
- SNHU was also better from the line, 76.2 percent (16-21) to 63.2 percent (12-19).
- The Penmen captured the paint (32-28), gathered more points off turnovers (29-16) and featured a better assist-to-turnover ratio (16/20-11/26), while AIC won the glass (35-24) and collected more second chance points (10-3).
- Southern New Hampshire has now won three of the last four meetings versus American Int'l and avenges last season's 79-55 road loss in the Northeast-10 Championship first round.
- The Penmen are back in action Sunday, Nov. 17 (1 p.m.) when they play host to the College of Staten Island at the Stan Spirou Field House. The game will air live on WGIR 610-AM.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. You can also sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams.