When and Where: November 23, 2019 – Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
Score: Assumption College 61, Southern New Hampshire University 51
Records: Assumption 3-2 (1-0 NE10), SNHU 4-2 (0-1 NE10)
Senior Karlee Ziliak (Evansville, Ind.) scored a season-high 15 points, but the Southern New Hampshire University women's basketball team had its four-game winning streak halted in a 61-51 loss to Assumption College on Saturday afternoon in its Northeast-10 opener at Laska Gymnasium.
- Ziliak – 15 points (7-10 FG, 1-4 3-FG), 3 rebounds, 2 steals
- Junior Gyanna Russell (E. Hampton, Conn.) – 11 points (4-6 FG, 3-3 FT), 6 rebounds
- Freshman Adriana Timberlake (Braintree, Mass.) – 11 points (4-9 FG, 3-7 3-FG)
- Sophomore Jenna Roche (Braintree, Mass.) – 8 points (2-3 FG, 4-5 FT), 4 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 assists
- Senior Victoria Dean (Plymouth, Mass.) – 6 points (2-9 FG, 2-6 3-FG), 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks
- Freshman Ariana Koivisto (Pomfret, Conn.) – 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks
- SNHU was within two possessions at 52-48 with less than three-and-a-half minutes to go when Assumption closed the game on a 9-3 run - sparked by consecutive layups from Ja'Lyn Armstrong - to match its largest lead of the day.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brianna Capacchione led all scorers with 16 points (6-13 FG, 3-5 3-FG, 1-2 FT) and seven rebounds for the Greyhounds.
- The Greyhounds outshot the Penmen, 41.4 percent (24-58) to 38.8 percent (19-49), including 36.4 percent (4-11) to 25 percent (6-24) from beyond the arc.
- Assumption was also plus-two from the line, but SNHU shot it better, 87.5 percent (7-8) to 56.3 percent (9-16).
- The Greyhounds won the glass (40-28) and the paint (34-22), gathered more points off turnovers (22-18) and second chance points (12-2), and featured a better assist-to-turnover ratio (16/14-8/24).
- Southern New Hampshire had its four-game winning streak snapped.
- SNHU has now lost four straight and six of its last eight to Assumption. The Penmen have also dropped seven-in-a-row to the Greyhounds on the road, last winning at Laska on Jan. 7, 2012.
- The Penmen are back in action Tuesday, Nov. 26 (5:30 p.m.) when they play host to crosstown-rival Saint Anselm College at the Stan Spirou Field House. The game will air live on WGIR 610-AM.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. You can also sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams.