When and Where: September 6, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (Penmen Stadium)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 4, Mercy College 2
Records: SNHU 1-0, Mercy 0-1
Freshman Jordan Butters (Beverly, Mass.) notched the first two goals of her collegiate career, as the Southern New Hampshire University women's soccer team scored four unanswered goals to defeat Mercy College, 4-2, Friday evening in its season opener at Penmen Stadium.
- Butters pulled the Penmen even just before the half and then staked them to a 4-1 lead midway through the 72nd minute.
- Senior Alexis Fruzzetti (Hanson, Mass.) and junior Allyson Patterson (Seekonk, Mass.) also scored goals for Southern New Hampshire.
- Trailing, 1-0, in the waning seconds of the first half, the Penmen pulled even when sophomore Sydney Carney (Northborough, Mass.) quickly turned and struck a perfect ball down the middle of the field to Butters, who ran onto it and punched the ball into the back of the net with 1.3 seconds to go.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Sophomore goalkeeper Hannah Rose (Waterloo, Ontario) stopped two of the four shots that came her way, while Mercy's Melissa Torres turned aside six shots.
- SNHU owned a 21-11 advantage in shots, including 13-5 in the opening stanza.
- Southern New Hampshire avenges a 1-0 loss to Mercy in its season opener a year ago and has now began eight of the last 10 campaigns with a victory.
- The Penmen are now 34-9-8 (.745) over their last 51 matches dating back to the 2016 campaign.
- SNHU also improves to 18-2-2 (.864) at home since the end of the 2016 season.
- Freshman Alyssa McCarthy (Stoneham, Mass.) set up Patterson's 61st-minute strike to notch her first career point.
- The Penmen return to action Sunday, Sept. 8 (5 p.m.) when they play host to the second-ranked and defending NCAA National Champion University of Bridgeport at Penmen Stadium.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. You can also sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams.