When and Where: September 8, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (Penmen Stadium)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 5, University of Bridgeport 3
Records: SNHU 2-0, Bridgeport 0-2
Sophomores Dorthea Glorud (Brumunddal, Norway) and Sydney Carney (Northborough, Mass.) each recorded four-point nights, and sophomore goalkeeper Hannah Rose (Waterloo, Ontario) racked up a career-high 14 saves, as the Southern New Hampshire University women's soccer team toppled the defending NCAA Division II National Champion and second-ranked University of Bridgeport on Sunday evening at Penmen Stadium.
- Glorud and Carney each scored a goal and dished a pair of assists.
- The 14-save performance for Rose was the first time in her career she made double-digit stops.
- Senior Alexis Fruzzetti (Hanson, Mass.) and junior Allyson Patterson (Seekonk, Mass.) also scored goals for the second straight contest, while sophomore Cassie Andrade (New Bedford, Mass.), who recorded her first career point with an assist in Friday's season-opening victory, potted her first goal for the eventual game winner.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Bridgeport goalkeeper Claudia Torres stopped four shots.
- The Purple Knights outshot SNHU, 26-14.
- Southern New Hampshire begins the season 2-0 for the first time since 2015.
- It is the third time in the last four years the Penmen have knocked off a nationally-ranked Bridgeport squad.
- The Penmen are now 35-9-8 (.750) over their last 52 matches dating back to the 2016 campaign.
- SNHU also improves to 19-2-2 (.870) at home since the end of the 2016 season.
- Freshman Kaelen McKenna (Warren, R.I.) recorded an assist on Carney's 73rd-minute goal for her first career point.
- The Penmen return to action Saturday, Sept. 14 (3 p.m.) when they take on Adelphi University.
- The next home match for SNHU is Wednesday, Sept. 18 (7 p.m.) when it plays host to Saint Michael's College at Penmen Stadium.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. You can also sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams.