When and Where: April 13, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (2nd Penmen Relays, Penmen Stadium)
Result: Southern New Hampshire University – 2nd/28 (80 points)
The SNHU Women's Track & Field team stayed home for the second consecutive weekend, earning three wins and an overall second place finish at the Penmen Relays.
- Junior Jill Couto (Newton Junction, N.H.) ran the fastest mile in program history, winning in 5:11.33.
- Senior Ashley Elder (Bristol, Conn.) won the shot put (14.82m), finished second in the discus (46.70m) and fourth in the hammer throw (49.27m) to earn 23 team points on the day.
- The other win came in the 1600 Sprint Medley - with freshman Meghan Stroh (New Fairfield, Conn.), senior Kylie Lorenzen (Holliston, Mass.), sophomore Megan Decker (Durham, Conn.) and freshman Olivia Coco (Bedford, N.H.) running a 4:14.68.
Sophomore Maura Coakley (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) ran second to Couto in the mile race in 5:22.36. She also finished eighth in the 800m, just missing her season best with a 2:26.22.
The Penmen also picked up eight points with two other second place finishes. Junior Alanna Murphy (Nashua, N.H.) finished in second place in the 100m hurdles in 15.05. The SNHU 4x400 relay team of Stroh, Couto, freshman Zeandrea Ward (Hartford, Conn.) and Lorenzen ran 4:01.50, the fastest time of the season for second place.
Decker, Lorenzen, senior Sydney Blais (Pascoag, R.I.) and Ward finished fourth in the 4x100 relay.
Also earning points Saturday were senior Mary Claffey (Burlington, Conn.), sixth in the pole vault. Junior Jalisa Allen (Foxboro, Mass.) came in sixth place in the discus, with a personal best 36.48m.
- The Assumption women won the meet with 112 points, the Penmen had 80, and Rhode Island College was third with 77 points.
- The Eastern Connecticut State men's team edged out Worcester State 86-83 for a title. 23 men's teams participated.
- Members of the SNHU Men's Cross Country team again took part in distance races, part of out of season competition. Sophomores Micah Hewitson (New Market, Md.) and sophomore Cedric Jocelyn (Nyack, N.Y.) ran to the wire together in the men's mile, with Jocelyn winning the photo finish by .26 in 4:18.54. Hewitson also finished third in the 800m (1:58.71) while teammate freshman Alex Boedeker (Attleboro, Mass.) competed in the 5,000m, running third in 15:40.08.
Southern New Hampshire will head to the Larry Ellis Invitational at Princeton University next weekend (Friday/Saturday).
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.