When and Where: October 6, 2018 – Boston, Mass. (Franklin Park)
Distance: Women's race, 5k
Results: Southern New Hampshire University – 17th/24 (168)
The Penmen finished in 17th place in the 24 team field at the 2018 New England (NEICAAA) cross country championships on Saturday afternoon.
- Junior Jill Couto (Newton Junction, N.H.) led the squad, turning in a 52nd place finish in 19:18.55.
- Freshman Grace Henson (Cumberland, R.I.) turned in another strong effort, running 19:25.24, good for 63rd place.
- Sophomore Maura Coakley (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) in 19:53.25 and senior Ashley Dennis (Coventry, R.I.) in 20:50.30 were next among Penmen runners.
- Couto ran her personal best of 18:53.9 at this event in 2017 when she finished fourth among NCAA Division II competitors.
- SNHU improved from a 24th place finish last year and 28th place in 2016.
- The women's race was won by Boston College, who placed their top runners in second, third, and fourth with a team score of 27.
- Natalie Bettez of Tufts won the race by a little over four seconds in 17:57.85.
- The Penmen will compete next at the Bruce Kirsh Cup on Saturday, October 20 at the Hopkinton Fair Grounds.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.